Where We Work
Founded in 1578 by the Spanish and situated on a large natural harbor, Fort-LibertĂ© is located not far from where archeologists believe Christopher Columbusâ€™ flagship vessel, the Santa Maria, ran aground in 1492.
On November 29th, 1803, Haiti first proclaimed its independence from the French in Fort-LibertĂ©â€”becoming the only successful slave revolt in history resulting in a new and sovereign nation. The town served as the meeting place for the worldâ€™s anti-slavery movement in the 1860s.
From the 1920s to 1960s the surrounding area thrived, exporting up to 20,000 tons of sisal rope annually, prior to the introduction of synthetic fiber. Fort-LibertĂ© is the capital of the Nord-Est department and a gateway community to the Dominican Republic.